Back to photo list

MiNr 0329 1951, 13. Sept. Lazarettschiff Jutlandia Rotes Kreuz Dänemark StDr. Michel-Europa- Kataloge 5080 M Red Cross Croix Rouge

MiNr 0329 1951, 13. Sept. Lazarettschiff Jutlandia Rotes Kreuz Dänemark StDr. Michel-Europa- Kataloge 5080 M Red Cross Croix Rouge
The picture above is taken automatically from flickr.com, if there is something related to the picture please visit and contact flickr.com
MiNr 0329 1951, 13. Sept. Lazarettschiff Jutlandia Rotes Kreuz Dänemark StDr. Michel-Europa- Kataloge 5080 M Red Cross Croix Rouge
------
MS Jutlandia (lat.: Jutland) was contracted by and built for the East Asiatic Company (EAC) in 1934, as a combined passenger and cargo ship at EAC's Nakskov Shipyard, Denmark. Following an extended operational life in which she also served as a hospital ship and a royal yacht, she was finally decommissioned in 1965.

History
Jutlandia was contracted by EAC in 1934, to replace older ships on the then regular service between Copenhagen and Bangkok. She operated on this route from November 1934, until January 1940, and again from 1954 to the end of 1964. Jutlandia was the only ship in the EAC fleet to be designed with a Maierform bow. She is the second of so far three ships of the same name.

Passengers were accommodated in nine single and twenty-nine double staterooms with all double staterooms provided with a private bath.[1] The dining room could seat seventy with smoking room, ladies lounge, bar and foredeck swimming pool also provided for passenger use. A dining and play room were provided for children. Passenger spaces were ventilated by chilled or heated air. Cargo holds provided 539,570 cubic feet (15,278.9 m3) capacity.

World War II

When World War II broke out in September 1939, the ship had just arrived at Rotterdam en route for Copenhagen. As Denmark was not yet part to the war, she completed this and one further voyage to Bangkok, finally returning to Copenhagen in January 1940.

Following her arrival in Copenhagen, Jutlandia was placed at the disposal of the Danish Government. She was sent to Argentina to collect a consignment of grain, returning to Copenhagen on 31 March 1940. On 1 April, she was sent to Nakskov Shipyard for routine overhaul. Jutlandia was in drydock when Germany attacked and occupied Denmark on 9 April 1940. Due to a shortage of diesel oil, Germany did not seize the Jutlandia. Instead, she was laid up at the Slotø island in a small inlet close to the shipyard, together with two other motorships from the EAC fleet, the MS Java and MS Falstria, manned only by a skeleton crew for maintenance.

Here she remained until the end of the War, despite an allied air raid on 3 May 1945. During the attack the Java was sunk, while Falstria suffered some flooding and a fire. Jutlandia got off with some bullet holes and a minor fire in a cargo hold.

The Jutlandia was fully seaworthy again by 11 August 1945 and re-entered commercial service between Europe and the East Coast of the United States.
-----------------------------


Das Motorschiff Jutlandia (lat. Jütland) war ein 1934 gebautes Passagier- und Frachtschiff der dänischen Reederei Det Østasiatiske Kompagni (Ostasiatische Kompagnie). Bekannt wurde es besonders als Hospitalschiff während des Koreakriegs.

Geschichte

Im Auftrag der Vereinten Nationen und des Roten Kreuzes wurde die Jutlandia von 1951 bis 1953 als ziviles Lazarettschiff im Koreakrieg eingesetzt. Die dänische Regierung sorgte für die Umrüstung zu einem modernen Krankenhausschiff, so dass vier Operationssäle und 356 Krankenbetten zur Verfügung standen. Auf insgesamt drei Fahrten kam das Schiff zum Einsatz. Zwischenzeitlich wurde das Schiff mit einer Klimaanlage, einer Augenklinik und einem Hubschrauberdeck den Erfordernissen des humanitären Einsatzes weiter angepasst.

Im Gegensatz zu den militärischen Lazarettschiffen wurden auf der Jutlandia auch zivile koreanische Patienten versorgt, so dass neben 4981 Soldaten wohl weit mehr als 6000 Zivilisten behandelt werden konnten. Am 16. Oktober 1953 lief die Jutlandia nach 999 Tagen im UN-Dienst wieder in Kopenhagen ein, um fortan wieder von der EAC eingesetzt zu werden. Am 14. Januar 1965, verließ sie Kopenhagen zu ihrer letzten Fahrt nach Bilbao, wo sie verschrottet wurde.

Nachdem das Schiff langsam in Vergessenheit geriet, gelangte seine Geschichte durch den dänischen Sänger Kim Larsen und seinen Hit Jutlandia (1986) wieder in das Bewusstsein der Öffentlichkeit.


Date: 2016-08-30 23:37:11



MiNr 0329 1951 13. Sept. Lazarettschiff Jutlandia Rotes Kreuz Dänemark StDr. Michel-Europa- Kataloge 5080 M Red Cross Croix Rouge

Visit : ATourism.com

Comments

No comment found!

Members of DigitalMarketingPariwisata.com | Joint with Mahoni.com
Powered by IndonesiaCommerce.com | Promoted by IndonesiaWebPromotion.com


Visit Archipelago Country, A Tropical Paradise In The World : EastJava.com and Indonesia-Tourism.com